Friday, April 1, 2011

Disturbed Children, Dust, and Ice Cream

It's 4am. I'm going on 14 hours at work. 6am please come fast. Surprisingly, the hardest thing about the night shift is not staying awake (I work at a mental health facility for children. I may like the kids that I work with, but I never forget that they're psych patients. I've been hit, bit, spit on, had chairs thrown at me, and on one occasion I truely thought I was going to be stabbed. I would never let my guard down enough to fall asleep.) The hardest part is the boredom. There are about 4 hours of work for this 8 hour shift. So I've been cleaning. And I think I'm the only one that does...there was probably a good 2 years worth of dust on top of the soap dispenser and memos from 2002 on the walls.

But the evening shift was anything but boring. We made ice cream. It was amazingly easy (made from things you already have at home) and the kids loved it. They didn't even mind cleaning up the ice, salt, sprinkles, and milk cartons that managed to cover every surface within a 5 foot radius of the ice cream table. The ice cream actually turned out really good. Now I know you wanna try it yourself...

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons rock salt
Gallon sized ziplock bag
Quart sized ziplock bag
Ice (enough to half-fill gallon bag)

Fill gallon size ziplock bag half full of ice. Add 6 tablespoons of rock salt. Set aside. Put milk, vanilla extract, and sugar in the quart sized ziplock. Seal quart sized ziplock and place it into the gallon ziplock. Shake the ziplock until the contents of the quart sized bag are the consistency of ice cream. Remove quart sized bag and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment