Friday, April 13, 2012

Technologic

'I just can't figure it out.'' was my grandmother's response to me teaching her to use the new DVD player that we bought her to replace her old VHS player. It really wasn't hardly any different than the VHS except that the DVD had the menu that allowed you to choose a chapter, bloopers, extras, etc. This was about 5 years ago and I was 20 at the time. I remember thinking to myself ''When I get older I'm going to make myself learn the new technology.'' My grandmother (who is now 85) may have a slight aversion to new technology, but I think she tried to make herself do it anyway; she has since learned the DVD player, uses emails and even has a Facebook page (which she doesn't use, but hey, she signed up).

I never imagined this would be an issue with me since I've grown up with technology, but for the past couple of years I've had problems jumping on the digital book train. I'm not much of a collector, but I guess you could say that I collect books. Half Price Books is a line item in my budget. I had refused to go digital until recently when my husband bought me a Kindle Fire. It took some getting used to, but now I love it. I can read at night without having to turn on a light and wake up my husband. And I can download books immediately and even rent free digital books from the library. My Kindle is small enough that I'm able to carry around dozens of books in my purse with no problem. I imagine that soon, if it isn't already happening, students will have digital text books. That'll be a load off their backs, literally. I'm glad I've made the jump. 

But there's still something about holding a paper book in your hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment